Thursday, July 18, 2013

Beautiful Summer Day

Beautiful - Summer- Day - in July???  What's up with that?  Yes - it is hot and humid - it's mid-July in Arkansas.  Historically, the only thing harder for me to face than mid-July in Arkansas - is AUGUST.  I have not been a summer person since moving to a job that required working all summer.  You know - summer has always been fine until the 5th of July, then I'm ready for it to be over.  Let's just move on to Labor Day with the promise of cooler days to follow.

I had an "ah-ha" moment this morning.  I am enjoying this summer.  I will admit that the hot days have been interspersed with some not-so-hot days, but even the hot ones have been OK.  We've done some traveling and visiting and I've spent time working in the yard - cooking - sewing - reading - studying - and it has all been good - because of summer not in spite of it.

I've read and done my Bible study outside - early in the morning.  It has been wonderful.  Menus and activities have been planned - taking the heat into account.  Curious that it has taken me so many of my adult years to figure this out.  It is possible for me to enjoy summer - when I work with it and not fuss about it!

Speaking of planning menus for summer.  I decided that I wanted to make a cool, light dessert - easy to make - and not too bad for us.  I found a promising one on Pinterest yesterday.  I followed the link to the original blog and it has great pictures and easy-to-follow directions for a "No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Dessert".  Checkout her recipe and directions at http://www.thekitchenismyplayground.com/2012/03/no-bake-chocolate-eclair-dessert.html.

Now for my version.  I used her recipe, but substituted lower fat and lower sugar options through-out.  If it tastes nearly as good as it looks and smells, we are in for a treat tonight.



My version of the filling has sugar-free vanilla pudding, low-fat milk, and Cool-Whip Free layered with low-fat graham crackers.  The chocolate glaze has cocoa, Truvia Blend, and butter.  Chocolate glaze needs butter.  I tasted the pudding/cool whip mixture and the chocolate glaze and they were both super yummy.  It is chilling now and I can't wait to pull it out for dinner tonight with my grilled lean chops and fresh green beans and new potatoes!

Have a great beautiful summer day!

Blessings ~

1 comment:

  1. Oh my - the dessert is awesome! Cool - creamy - just enough chocolate...

    ReplyDelete